Mild Weather This Week, Mt. Trashmore Trails Will Be Open
It's nearly mid-December and we're talking about 50s in the forecast for a couple of days this week. That will change fast, as CBS2 Weather First calls for a mix of precipitation including snow Friday night into Saturday, but for Wednesday and Thursday, it's time to take a break from being cooped up and go out to enjoy a walk or bike ride from the view of the "Mt. Trashmore Trails".
From 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., CBS2 says Overlook and Trashmore trail will be open for public use on December 9 and 10. The derecho-damaged Stumptown Trail has not been repaired yet and will not be open.
You do have some guidelines to follow because it is 2020. First, check-in, while wearing a mask in Building 948 to fill out a waiver.
The trails will close at 4:30, which is at or near sunset these days, and there will be no lighting so you must exit before the sun goes down for safety. Technically, they ask you to begin exiting 30 minutes before closing. These hours will be enforced, as will 6 feet of social distancing.
Other guidelines, which can be found on the Cedar Rapids Solid Waste Agency website, are as follows:
- The Solid Waste Agency is not responsible for injury or damaged equipment. Use trails at your own risk.
- Trail use is prohibited when gates are closed. Both A Street SW entrance gate and/or trail head gate. Trespassers will be prosecuted.
- Dogs are allowed but must be leashed.
- Limited parking onsite. Park in designated areas.
- Smoking and alcohol are prohibited on the trail