Today is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day!
It's Friday, and for many people it's payday, so it's the absolute PERFECT day to visit your favorite local small business! March 29th is also known as National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day, and it's a holiday to celebrate all types of small business owners and their contributions to our economy. There are around 27 million small businesses in the U.S. alone! According to National Day Calendar:
"Rick and Margie Segel founded National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day in honor of couples like his parents whose successful hat shop opened in 1939 and grew into a 10,000 square feet and $2 million dollar clothing store."
I do my best to support local small businesses, especially restaurants. Very rarely do I go out to eat at big chain restaurants, because we have so many wonderful local options! I also want to give a shout out to two of the workout facilities I go to on a weekly basis: Vella Yoga in Marion and Hard Drive Performance Center in Cedar Rapids. I started attending classes at Vella on the very first day they opened a couple of years ago, and I've been with them ever since! And Hard Drive recently opened a brand new, HUGE, beautiful facility in Downtown Cedar Rapids, and I was lucky enough to be with them through the transition from the much smaller old location.
Now it's your turn to support your favorite local business! Here are some of the shout outs from Facebook:
- Alicia Henry - "Mackey Dan & Debbie's Creamery in Ely! Best ice cream ever! Delicious cheese curds and milk. They also offer other locally made treats - coffee, snacks, meat"
- Andy Gates - "Grill Works in Marion👍. Always very friendly and knowledgeable. They let you try all of their seasonings before you buy them."
- Steff Duncan Bell - "Johnson's Jeweler's Bench in Washington. Chester is awesome!"
- Melody Rose Gearheart - "Kalona Coffee House!!! AMAZING COFFEE AND WONDERFUL PEOPLE!"
- Stephanie Mai - "Downtown Dachshund - Great selection of clothes and unique gifts from local vendors."
- Jennifer Snow - "Spark Boutique in Anamosa. Great selection of clothing, shoes, and accessories."
- Cindy Kula Leeson - "First Avenue Wine House for all your wine needs as well as small gifts."
- Liz Becker - "Olive That Deli & Thompson Shoes, Manchester. Both owned by Todd & Shelly Schrader!! Great people!"
- Danielle LaGrange - "Food 4 paws!"
- Linda Nagel Kahler - "Hometown Market in Central City"
- Carrie Chittick Dietze - "Myers Grill & Pizza Haus in Williamsburg"
- Elaina Kempin - "Pa's Construction - you do gorgeous work!"
Share your favorite in the comments below!