Three Months From Kickoff, Schedules for Iowa, ISU, UNI Taking Shape
I'm definitely not upset that the college football season will begin for Iowa's big three of Iowa, Iowa State and Northern Iowa on Saturday, September 2. I just can't believe it's only three months away. We know much more about the upcoming season that we did just a couple of days ago.
The UNI Panthers had a disappointing 2022 season by their standards, finishing the season at 6-5. Three of the Panthers' five losses were by a combined seven points, and hopes are high for the 2023 season.
One of the players to watch for UNI is wide receiver Sergio Morancy (below). He caught 26 passes for 510 yards and 6 touchdowns last year. He was named to the Phil Steele FCS All-MVFC Third Team.
The Panthers open their season in Ames, versus the Iowa State Cyclones. That September 2 game will begin at 1 p.m. and be available on ESPN+. The following Saturday, UNI will play host to Weber State in a 4 p.m. kickoff. Three other game times for the Panthers have been released. Thus far, only the homecoming game against North Dakota is confirmed for television. UNI's complete schedule is below.
- September 2: @ Iowa State (1 p.m.) ESPN+
- September 9: vs Weber State (4 p.m.)
- September 16: @ Idaho State (TBA)
- September 30: vs Youngstown State (1 p.m.)
- October 7: @ Indiana State (TBA)
- October 14: @ South Dakota State (TBA)
- October 21: vs North Dakota (4 p.m.) MVFC TV
- October 28: @ Illinois State (TBA)
- November 4: vs Western Illinois (1 p.m.)
- November 11: @ Missouri State (TBA)
- November 18: vs North Dakota State (4 p.m.)
2022 was also a rough year for the Iowa State Cyclones, who finished the season at 4-8.
The Cyclones return starting quarterback Hunter Dekkers (below) who was named Honorable Mention All-Big 12 by the league's coaches. He threw for more than 3,000 yards last season for Iowa State, fourth-most in school history for a single season at Iowa State.
Wide receiver Jaylin Noel (below) also returns for Iowa State. He was second on the team with 60 catches for 572 yards and three touchdowns last season.
After playing host to the UNI Panthers on September 2, Iowa State will host Iowa on September 9. Kickoff is at 2:30 p.m., with television coverage from Fox. Iowa State then heads to Athens, Ohio to take on the Ohio Bobcats on September 16. That game will be televised by either ESPN2 or ESPNU. No other game times for the Cyclones have been announced. Their full 2023 schedule is below.
- September 2: vs UNI (1 p.m.) ESPN+
- September 9: vs Iowa (2:30 p.m.) Fox
- September 16: @ Ohio (11 a.m.) ESPN2 or ESPNU
- September 23: vs Oklahoma State (TBA)
- September 30: @ Oklahoma (TBA)
- October 7: vs TCU (TBA)
- October 14: @ Cincinnati (TBA)
- October 28: @ Baylor (TBA)
- November 4: vs Kansas (TBA)
- November 11: @ BYU (TBA)
- November 18: vs Texas (TBA)
- November 25: @ Kansas State (TBA)
The Iowa Hawkeyes finished the 2022 season with an 8-5 record and a 21-0 shutout of Kentucky in the Music City Bowl. The Hawkeyes welcome a new quarterback to the fold in Cade McNamara (below), a transfer from Michigan. He was named Third-team All-Big Ten by coaches and media in 2021 when he threw for over 2,500 yards and 15 touchdowns for the Wolverines.
The Hawkeyes should again be stout on defense and hope to solve their offensive woes with McNamara and an improved running game. Running back Kaleb Johnson (below) was the bright spot last year, rushing for an Iowa freshman-record 779 yards. He was named honorable mention All-Big Ten by league coaches and the media.
Iowa opens the 2023 season at home against Utah State. The 11 a.m. kickoff will be televised by FS1. Then, the Hawks are off to Ames for the intrastate battle with Iowa State, followed by a home game against Western Michigan before Big Ten action begins with a night game at Penn State. Five of Iowa's game times have been announced, with a sixth that could be mid-afternoon or at night. The Hawkeyes' full schedule is below.
- September 2: vs Utah State (11 a.m.) FS1
- September 9: @ Iowa State (2:30 p.m.) Fox
- September 16: vs Western Michigan (2:30 p.m.) Big Ten Network
- September 23: @ Penn State (6:30 p.m.) CBS
- September 30: vs Michigan State (TBA)
- October 7: vs Purdue (2:30-3-or 6:30 p.m.)
- October 14: @ Wisconsin (TBA)
- October 21: vs Minnesota (TBA)
- November 4: @ Northwestern (TBA)
- November 11: vs Rutgers (TBA)
- November 18: vs Illinois (TBA)
- Friday, November 24: @ Nebraska (11 a.m.) CBS