Single-digit temperatures and below zero wind chills are a blast (said no ever). Especially if you're without home heating because you can't afford to pay for it.
Once again, folks in Eastern Iowa are turning to HACAP (Hawkeye Area Community Action Program) to fill this need with LiHEAP (Low Income Heating and Energy Assistance Program).
Apply for home-heating assistance
HACAP in Hiawatha serves Linn, Johnson, Jones, Benton, Dubuque, Delaware, Jackson, Iowa, and Washington counties. Residents in those counties who meet the necessary eligibility requirements can apply for help.
All you'll need according to KCRG is identification, current heat and electric bill, and proof of income. Attach copies of those with your application and learn more information here. You can apply through April 30, 2022.
How do I know if I qualify?
There are income requirements as seen in the table below.
You can do this the old-fashioned way, too
Send your application by mail, if you prefer, to :
HACAP Energy Assistance, PO Box 490, Hiawatha, IA 52233 or by email to email@example.com.
You can NOT turn your application in personally at the HACAP office in Hiawatha due to current COVID-19 protocols but several locations have drop boxes.
- Linn County (Urban Office) - 1328 2nd Ave, SE Cedar Rapids, IA (319)366-7632
- Linn County (Inn Circle) - 5560 6th St. SW Cedar Rapids, IA (319)739-0100
- Johnson County - 367 Southgate Ave, Iowa City, IA (319)337-5765
- Dubuque County - 220 West 7th St., Dubuque, IA (563)556-5130
- Benton County - 202 E 4th Street, Vinton, IA | 319-472-4761
- Jones County - 105 Broadway place Suite 17, Anamosa, IA | 319-462-4343
- Washington County - 2175 Lexington Blvd Bldg 1, Washington, IA (319)653-7275
In Iowa County, there is no drop box available. Please call (319)366-7631, ext. 1502 for assistance in submitting your request in Iowa county.