How to Get a Free COVID Test Kit Through Test Iowa
Although Test Iowa no longer has drive-thru testing sites, they are still offering free COVID tests to Iowans.
If you're looking to do an at-home COVID test, but haven't had any luck finding one in a store, Test Iowa may be able to help. According to the official website, "Test Iowa is a partnership between the Iowa Department of Public Health and the State Hygienic Lab," whose goal is to provide Iowans with free COVID tests.
Test Iowa's website lists the five simple steps required to get an at-home COVID test kit:
- Fill out the form to have a test kit either sent directly to your home, or to get the kit yourself from one of the pick-up sites
- Activate the test kit online by providing your information and test kit ID
- Package your sample for testing
- Drop it off at a UPS drop-off location with the prepaid UPS label, or bring it to one of the drop-off sites near you
- Get your results via the online Patient Portal
The Test Iowa site offers a map that includes three different types of pick-up sites. There are locations that offer test kit pick-up only, locations that offer pick-up and drop-off, and locations that offer pick-up and drop-off with same-day delivery to the lab. The four points with same-day lab delivery include:
- State Hygienic Laboratory Coralville
- 2490 Crosspark Rd, Coralville
- Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. & Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon
- Johnson County Health Department
- 855 S Dubuque St, Iowa City
- Drop off your sample by 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday for same-day lab delivery
- Linn County Public Health
- 1020 6th Street SE, Cedar Rapids
- Drop off your sample by 2 p.m. Monday through Friday for same-day lab delivery
- Peoples Community Health Clinic, Inc
- 905 Franklin Street, Waterloo
- Drop off your sample by 1 p.m. Monday through Friday for same-day lab delivery
Check out the map listing ALL locations across the state HERE.
How long will it take you to get your results? Test Iowa says that they should be available within 24 hours of receiving the email confirmation that the lab got your kit, but it could take a little longer, depending on how high the demand is. You can get more information about Test Iowa and request your kit online HERE.