Iowa DNR Kicks off State Park Passport Program
It may not feel as such weather-wise today, but the unofficial first weekend of summer is here, and boy, are we ready. Memorial Day weekend serves as a time to remember and show appreciation for the brave men and women in uniform we've lost, but it's also a time when many Iowans start thinking summer and for some, that includes hanging out at their favorite state park to fish, hike, camp or just enjoy nature. Some 30,000 check-ins at Iowa state parks were recorded last year according to the Iowa Tourism Office and Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR). They have made it even better to enjoy them.
According to KWWL, the "State Park Passport Program" has launched. Starting today, as a matter of fact, May 28, you can win prizes and giveaways simply by visiting state parks.
Things that people can win include:
- The first 1,000 people with 10 check-ins earn a 2021 Iowa State Park Passport t-shirt
- Check in to 30 parks for a chance to win one of four Fitbit activity trackers
- Every check-in is an entry into monthly Endless Adventures Prize Packs:
- June – Paddleboard and water sport accessories
- July – Camping tent and accessories
- August – Hammock and picnic accessories
- September – Yeti cooler set
- October – $500 Bass Pro Shops gift card
The passport is free and you can get one by going here or texting the word PARKS to (515)531-5995. A map of the state parks, so you can start your exploring and winning, is here. The passport will be delivered to your mobile device and besides the prizes above, it will also earn you pop-up deals and discounts throughout the summer and fall.