Heat Shelters Open In Cedar Rapids
An excessive heat warning continues across the area, with the next few days featuring heat index values topping 100 degrees.
Various locations are opening their doors during certain hours to those who may be without air conditioning and need safe shelter from the heat. KCRG has the full list and will continue to update it. For the weekend, you can cool off in the following spots:
- Cedar Rapids Public Library, 450 5th Avenue SE (Friday 9-5, Saturday and Sunday 1-5)
- Lindale Mall, 4444 1st Ave. NE (Friday and Saturday 9 a.m.-7 p.m., Sunday 8 a.m.-6 p.m.)
- Center Point Community Center, 720 Main St. (Friday 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.)
- Central City City Hall, 137 4th St. (Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Ely Community Center/City Hall, 1570 Rowley St. (Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Ely Public Library, 1595 Dows St. (Friday 1-5 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- St. John Lutheran Church of Ely, 1420 Walker St. (available 1 p.m.-9 p.m. with 24 hours notice)
- Fairfax City Hall, 525 Vanderbilt St. (Friday 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- Fairfax Public Library, 313 Vanderbilt St. (Friday noon- 6 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m.-noon)
- Hiawatha Public Library, 150 West Willman St (Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday 10-5)
- Marion Public Library, 1095 6th Ave. (Friday and Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Palo Community Center, 2800 Hollenbeck Road (Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Robins City Hall, 265 S. 2nd St. (Friday 8 a.m.-4 p.m.)
For other locations and hours of heat shelters outside the Cedar Rapids metro area, click here.