Eastern Iowa Boy Recovering After Inhaling Poisonous Chemical
Prayers and strength have led to a miraculous recovery for Waterloo 3-year-old Barrett Fairchild. Barrett, who spent almost 50 days this summer in intensive care at a hospital after inhaling tiki torch fluid, got to come home this week.
He had been at the UI Stead Family Children's Hospital since July after ingesting citronella, which is generally used as an insect repellent, particularly against mosquitoes. Reports say he was moved from intensive care to the general pediatric floor on Friday.
He's been doing physical therapy and we're all happy to hear this strong boy has made strides in his recovery.
His mom's birthday was August 22nd, and Ashley Fairchild called her son's recovery "the best birthday present I could have asked for".
All indications point toward a complete recovery for Barrett thanks to his fighting spirit and having been put on what his doctors called the "most advanced form of life support they could offer."