Cedar Rapids, Marion and Hiawatha to Open Splash Pads
Time to start getting our feet wet again. Literally.
Pools in the Cedar Rapids/Marion area are not opening this summer, but a media release from the Cedar Rapids Parks & Recreation Department says the city's splash pads will...with a few caveats.
Patrons are "encouraged to exercise their own discretion for use", and possibly bring your own disinfectant, as only the sensor and button to activate the water will be sanitized daily by the staff. Other play pieces will not, and the water in the splash pads is not chlorinated. The splash pad locations are as follows, and it will take up to two days for the entire list of locations to be activated. By Wednesday, June 17, the splash pads are expected to be up and running.
- Cedar Valley Park, 2250 Blakely Boulevard SE
- Cleveland Park, 1600 8th Avenue SW
- Daniels Park, 940 Oakland Road NE
- Greene Square, 400 4th Avenue SE
- Hayes Park, 1924 D Street
- Hidder Park, 10th Street and 14th Avenue SE
- Jacolyn Park, Jacolyn Drive and Gordon Avenue NW
- Noelridge Park, 4900 Council Street NE
- Redmond Park, 3rd Avenue and 16th Street SE
- Time Check Park, 5th Street and J Avenue NW
- Twin Pines Park, 3500 42nd Street NE
Hours of use for the splash pads will be extended longer than usual as a likely measure to promote social distancing, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m each day.
Health guidelines and social distancing of 6 feet will also be required. Stay home if you're sick and those over 60 years old with underlying health conditions are encouraged to stay home to prevent potential exposures.
Meanwhile, Hiawatha Parks & Recreation notes that their splash pads in Guthridge and Tucker Parks will soon be open as well. Starting Friday, June 19, they will be available for use from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Similar social distancing guidelines and sanitizing processes as in Cedar Rapids splash pads will be in place.
Marion already has their splash pads at Thomas Park and Gill Park open for the season. They'll be on extended hours through Labor Day, operating from 8 a.m.–8 p.m. daily. Social distancing and public safety guidelines are encouraged.