Break Out Your Spoon! Today is National Cereal Day
Today is an important holiday, especially here in Cedar Rapids!
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and today, on this 7th of March, we honor the KING of breakfast... cereal! With Quaker Oats right here in Cedar Rapids, it's a hard food to ignore, not that you'd want to. Personally, I enjoy Reese's Puffs, Rice Krispies, and Crunch Berries, but I pretty much love them all! Here are some fun cereal facts in honor of today's celebration:
- Cap’n Crunch’s full name is Horatio Magellan Crunch, and he was born on Crunch Island in the Sea of Milk.
- Cheerios were once called "CheeriOats," but the name was changed to Cheerios in 1945 because of dispute with Quaker Oats.
- Corn Flakes were the first cereal to offer a box prize back in 1909, The Funny Jungleland Moving Pictures Book.
- Pink hearts are the only original Lucky Charms shape to survive since it was released in 1964.
- The Rice Krispies mascots are Snap, Crackle and Pop, but they DID have a fourth brother named Pow back in 1950. He didn't last long.
- Tony the Tiger had to beat out three other mascots to become the official mascot of Frosted Flakes; Elmo the Elephant, Newt the Gnu, and Katy the Kangaroo.
- About 49% of Americans start their morning with a bowl of cereal.
What's your favorite type of cereal? Leave it in the comments!