All of Cedar Rapids’ 4th of July Happenings in One Place
Iowa's largest fireworks display happens again Tuesday night in downtown Cedar Rapids, but that's just the finale of a ton of great fun. Here's what you'll find preceding the Celebration of Freedom Fireworks.
- Pancake Breakfast 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.: Downtown Cedar Rapids comes to life early on the 4th with the annual Pancake breakfast. This year's event is held inside Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Cost is $6 for adults and $3 for kids. That price is reduced a dollar if you wear your Freedom Festival button.
- Health Solutions 8K and the Fifth Season 5K Run/Walk and Kids Runs 8 a.m. It's the 32nd year for these events!
- Freedom Festival Car Show 8 a.m. to noon. Check out all the local classic cars on the 3rd Avenue Bridge.
- Celebration of Freedom Fireworks pre-show events on 2nd and 3rd Avenue Bridges open at 4 p.m. A variety of concessions will be available (see map and corresponding numbers for vendors below) and there's face painting, bounce houses, and more.
Also, please note these road closures related to the 4th of July activities downtown:
· 1st Avenue (between 1st Street SW and 1st Street SE) from 6:00 PM on Monday, July 3, 2017 until 2:00 AM on Wednesday, July 5, 2017.
· 1st Street (between A Avenue NW and 2nd Avenue SW) from 4:00 PM on Monday, July 3, 2017 until 3:00 AM on Wednesday, July 5, 2017.
· 8th Avenue (Between 1st Street SW and 2nd Street SE) from before the fireworks display (time of closure depends on crowd present) at the Police Department or Sheriff's Department discretion, on Tuesday, July 4, 2017 until approximately 30 minutes after the fireworks display on Tuesday, July 4, 2017.
· 2nd and 3rd Avenues will be closed to traffic between 1st Street SE and 1st Street SW from 4:00 PM on Monday, July 3, 2017, until 3:00 AM on Wednesday, July 5, 2017 (times include setup, tear down and cleanup).
- La Reyna
- Becker Concessions
- 3rd Generation Cotton Candy
- Premier Kettlekorn
- JK Concessions
- The Freeze
- Kona Ice
- CR Popcorn
- Americana Concessions
- 3rd Generation Cotton Candy
- J&D Crafts
- Face Painters
- Trend Jump
- Bouncy Castles
- 16th Avenue Music
- KCRG Stage
- Hy-Vee/Mount Mercy
- VIP Area
- Freedom Festival Concert at McGrath Amphitheatre. Doors open at 4 p.m. Music begins at 5. The Boot Jack Band plays at 5. The Johnny Holm Band performs at 7. Admission is free with your Freedom Festival button.
- Celebration of Freedom Fireworks begin 9:40-9:45 p.m. It's the culmination of another fantastic 4th of July in Cedar Rapids with the state's biggest display on our nation's birthday! The fireworks are shot from the 1st Avenue Bridge with best viewing areas pictured below. The show will again be synchronized to music, which can be heard on 98.1 KHAK and 104.5 KDAT. If you're unable to see the fireworks in person, KCRG 9.2 will show it live and will also provide the musical accompaniment, courtesy of 98.1 KHAK.
There you have it... a jam-packed 4th of July in downtown Cedar Rapids. Enjoy the celebration and please be safe!
[via Freedom Festival]