6-Time Top Fuel World Champion Clay Millican Talks about going 300+ M.P.H. This Weekend at Cordova Dragway Park [INTERVIEW]
Clay Millican is a former forklift driver who is about to lift your spirit on a drag strip. In fact, Clay's been turbo-charged for almost two decades on some of the best tracks in the USA. This weekend, he will try to defend his World Series of Drag Raging title in Cordova, IL.
I had a chance to catch up with Clay on the phone and he and his team are ready to blast down that track. I wanted to talk about what it's like when the chute is released at the end of that 7 second run and Clay had to correct me. It's just under 4 seconds to a 300 M.P.H. frenzy. That's quick. We also chatted about and early Chicago White Sox car that jettisoned him into the sport back in 1998...
The man has a nice resume.
- 6x IHRA Top Fuel World Champion
- 2014: NHRA - Raced to two semifinal finishes; attended all 24 events
- 2013: NHRA- Raced to four runner-up finishes; Recorded first career No. 1 qualifying position at Englishtown; Qualified for all 24 events; Earned a berth in the Countdown to the Championship; Clocked career-best performances for time at Chicago and speed at Norwalk
- 2012: NHRA - Raced to semifinal finishes at Phoenix, Englishtown, Bristol and Pomona 2; qualified a season-best third at Las Vegas 1; qualified for 22 of 23 events; clocked career-best performances for time and speed at Pomona 2
- 2011: Qualified for nine of 10 events entered; Advanced to the quarterfinals at Reading; Qualified a season-high sixth at Atlanta; Clocked career-best performances for time and
speed at Reading
- 2010: Qualified for both races that he entered (Reading and Las Vegas 2)
- 2009: Earned first-ever Countdown to 1 appearance; Reached fourth career final round and first since 2004 (Topeka)
- 2008: Raced to a semifinal finish at Reading
- 2007: Posted one semifinal finish
- 2006: Raced to semifinal finishes at Houston and Topeka
- 2005: Posted career-best performance for time; Raced to semifinal finish at Gainesville
- 2004: Advanced to three consecutive final round appearances
- 2003: Competed in 13 NHRA events and posted career-best points finish (14th); advanced to three semifinals; clocked career-best performances for time and speed at Houston
- 2002: Attended seven NHRA events to finish 18th in points order
- 1999: Won a silver medal at the Nitro Olympics in Hockenheim, Germany
- 1998: Earned Top Fuel license and made debut in Chicago White Sox-sponsored dragster at inaugural event in Chicago
Best of luck to Clay and all the drivers this weekend. I'd also like to congratulate our ticket winners who scored free entry into the action this weekend via krna.com:
Josh McMenomy, Alyssa Loeffler, Jeremy Murphy, Brandon Schulte, Krestin Olsen of Cedar Rapids and Ric Lighthall of MT.V. All win 5-packs of tickets and Krestin takes the Fantasy Pit Crew Experience. It pays to play in the 94 Zone at krna.com.